Skip navigation

24 Hour Emergency Service


Avoid This HVAC Emergency: Preventing Gas Leaks

One of the most common HVAC emergencies we hear of is that a homeowner thinks they smell gas in their home. This is something that should be taken very seriously, and should never be ignored. At the least, a gas leak can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and at the worst—albeit rare—a gas leak can cause a fire or explosion. Usually the first indication that you have a gas leak is the smell of rotten eggs. Since natural gas is odorless, gas companies add this smell to the gas lines so that you will be able to detect it.

What Do I Do?

The very first thing to do if you discover this smell in or around your property is to leave premises right away, being sure to extinguish any flames if possible—such as a burner on your stovetop. Though you may be tempted to, do not unplug in any electrical appliances. This could create a spark which can very well ignite a fire. Once you and your family are safely away from your home, use a neighbor’s phone to call your gas company or 911. Do not reenter your home until it has been deemed safe to do so by officials.

Can Gas Leaks be Prevented?

The most important thing you can do to potentially avoid this dangerous HVAC emergency is to ensure that your appliances are professionally installed and vented, and that they are kept clean and in good working order. This includes ensuring you keep up on your routine maintenance appointments, for everything from your AC system, your water heater, washing machine, and more. Additionally, you can reduce the chance of a fire by keeping all combustible materials away from furnaces, water heaters, ranges, or any other gas-powered appliances that may be in your home.

For professional, safe HVAC system installation and HVAC services in Wyckoff, NJ, contact DB Heating & Cooling, Inc today!

Comments are closed.