It may be hard to imagine needing an air conditioner after the cold, snowy winter we just had, but summer is coming and we all know how hot and humid it can get in Paramus, NJ. If you are concerned about going over budget with your cooling this year, our DB Heating & Cooling experts have a few tips to pass along that can help save you both energy and money:
- Schedule annual maintenance – maintenance helps your system stay energy efficient, prevents repair needs, and extends the life of your AC equipment; if it’s been more than 12 months since your last maintenance appointment, give us a call and schedule service today.
- Use ceiling fans – ceiling fans help circulate the air, making it feel 2-3 degrees cooler in your home; this can help keep your thermostat at a higher setting.
- Have your ductwork checked – dirty ductwork or faulty ductwork (or both) can result in significant air loss and/or problems with air flow in your system. Both of these problems will put stress on your air conditioner, which means it will use more energy to operate.
- Use a programmable thermostat – programmable thermostats allow you to control your cooling so that you can accommodate for the times your home is empty. For instance, if your home is unoccupied during the work week, you can power down your air conditioner during the day, then program it to power up a half hour before you arrive home. Programming can save a great deal of energy.
- Shade indoor areas during the day – your home can gain as much as 10 degrees from the sun throughout the day, so using shades, blinds or curtains to block the sun can help keep your home cooler.
Little steps can add up to big savings, but if you need more significant help with your air conditioning system, call the experts at DB Heating & Cooling today!