Your air conditioning system will make a variety of noises as it starts up, operates and shuts down. But if you start to hear any new or unfamiliar noises you may want to think about calling for air conditioning repair in Emerson, NJ. At DB Heating & Cooling, Inc., we often get called about our customers’ AC units making new noises. We thought it would be good to put together a few of the most common noises and what could be causing them.
- Squealing – One of the most common, and also most annoying, noises that your air conditioner might start to make is squealing. This can be a high-pitched squeal or a low-pitched droning. Either way, this problem is usually caused by a bad fan motor belt that needs to be changed.
- Hissing – If your air conditioning system is hissing you should definitely call air conditioning repair. Hissing usually is a sign that you have a refrigerant leak somewhere. Your air conditioning system uses compressed refrigerant to cool your home so if it is leaking it means that not only do you have insufficient refrigerant, but you also have insufficient pressure.
- Gurgling – Another common noise is gurgling which is caused by low refrigerant levels. The gurgling is caused by air in the lines. This problem requires that a professional technician refill the refrigerant levels to their proper place.
- Buzzing – If you have a heat pump that is buzzing it doesn’t necessarily mean that anything is wrong. This can be caused by the reversing valve solenoid. The reversing valve controls the direction of flow for the refrigerant. Heat pumps use these to reverse the flow of refrigerant so that they can provide both heating and cooling to your home.
- Lack of noise – In some cases, silence could also be a problem. For example, if you only hear some components switch on then it likely means that something has gone wrong. This might happen if your outdoor fan motor starts up but the compressor’s motor doesn’t fire on.
If you need any kind of air conditioning repair in Emerson, NJ, make sure that you call the technicians at DB Heating & Cooling, Inc. today.