Losing the ability to heat your home can cause serious discomfort. Spring comes on slowly in the Northeast and some homeowners need to rely on their heating systems longer than others. Whatever type of heating system you have—boiler, furnace, heat pump—you’ll need the professional diagnosis and repair service of a heating expert. DB Heating & Cooling offers professional services to homeowners in the Westwood, NJ area. For heating repair, call us today.
If you find yourself without heat, contact a professional heating technician right away to request emergency repair service. Heaters are complex systems, with many different components. Here are some common problems:
- No Power. Your furnace requires electricity. It may have blown a fuse or tripped the circuit.
- Switched off. Make sure your thermostat is turned up high enough to make the heating system turn on.
- Motor problem. Occasionally motors need repair and sometimes need to be reset.
- Pilot light out. The pilot light is the small flame that allows the heater to ignite, and is sometimes attached to an electronic device called the thermocouple. This device stops the fuel supply in a gas furnace or boiler when the pilot is not lit, so as to reduce the danger of excessive fuel build-up.
Attempting to fix your own furnace or boiler without the proper knowledge and skill can lead to further damages. Besides calling a local heating repair technician, there are several measures to take if you suddenly find yourself without heat.
- Do you have enough fuel? No fuel, no fire, as they say. Make sure you keep an eye on your fuel levels, and replenish it before you run out.
- Dress warmly. It may be necessary to wear hats, gloves, scarves and multiple layers indoors.
- Trap existing warm air. Hanging blankets over windows and doorways can help to boost the insulation of your home.
- Keep the water moving. If it’s very cold outside, you can turn your faucets on ever so slightly to ensure your pipes don’t freeze..
- Stay with friends and family. Check with them to see if they have power, and if they’re not too far away, call in the favor and stay in a warm place until your heater gets fixed.
Loss of heat can be dangerous, especially for the elderly and the very young. Call a Westwood, NJ heating repair specialist if your home loses heat. Call DB Heating & Cooling today.